Live Segment! Holiday Tips On WPTV
Last week I shared tips to get organized for the holidays on WPTV-5.
Tip: Create holiday To-Do lists and set deadlines.
Americans are notorious for last minute shopping, especially when it comes to Christmas, creating more stress around the busiest time of year. According to the National Retail Federation, 53% of consumers — about 126 million people — shop the last Saturday before Christmas.
- To keep gift giving and shopping under control, create a list just like Santa! Create a spreadsheet to track– “Gift Recipient,” “Gift,” “Actual Cost,” and “Status” so you can keep track of shopping as you go.
- Use an app like Todoist to track your holiday To-Dos like errands, holiday menus, and grocery lists. You can set deadlines and reminders to stay on track.
- One of the things always at the top of my to-do list is to stock up on hostess gifts so you have last minute gifts on hand. Shop local! Pioneer Linens has an array of gift options from the best holiday candles to festive cocktail napkins.
Tip: Organize your gift wrap.
Wrapping paper is just one more thing strewn about the house, unless you’ve got a system in place to keep it organized.
- Before you decide how you’d like to store your gift wrap, you first need to gather all the gift wrapping supplies around your home. Stock up in advance so you’re not running around on Christmas Eve for more supplies.
- Create a designated gift-wrapping area in your home that has storage for all of your supplies. For larger homes, the elfa gift wrap cart is a great solution or for smaller spaces, the chevron holiday wrap organizer is ideal.
Tip: Declutter now to make space for new gifts.
My rule of thumb is for every new item that comes in, one old item must go out.
- Now is a great time to grab a bin and quickly go through your clothes, accessories and kids’ toys to donate items that you don’t use anymore. These items could bring joy to someone else!
- There are lots of great local organizations that accept gently used clothes and toys. Some of my favorites are The Lord’s Place and Adopt-a-Family of the Palm Beaches.
Tip: Take stock and organize holiday décor before putting up or away.
After the holidays is the best time of the year to let go of your old decorations. If you didn’t use certain decorations this year, toss it!
- It can be tempting to take advantage of post-holiday sales and buy items that you may already have but remember: take stock before you shop!
- When packing up décor, separate items by category into different boxes. Store all decorations for each room in containers together. This makes decorating so much easier.
- To make putting away items easy, take photos and label each bin before storing it to remove the guesswork for years to come.